Hello there, thanks for stopping by! If you would like to join the Hodgepodge, click on the button below and head over to Joyce’s, she is a very nice gal and would love to have you link up!
1. When did you last have to interact, either by phone or in person, with someone in a government run agency? On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the experience? (10 being fabulous and 1 being pass the Tylenol)
I went to the United States Post Office yesterday to mail something and pick up a roll of stamps. I guess it was a 10 because I have no complaints. The line wasn’t awful, there were 4 gals working, which is 2 more than there usually are. My transaction was smooth.
2. The current governor of Wisconsin is considering a run for President next time around. Walker attended Marquette University, but never graduated. In terms of any candidate running for the office of President (not asking here if you agree or disagree with Scott Walker’s politics) would the lack of a college degree influence your vote or no? Would that be a factor in your support of any candidate running for public office, even a role less weighty than President?
I don’t think it would be a problem for me. I have not been all that impressed with some of the college graduates we have had in politics recently. Maybe we need someone who has come up through the ranks in a different way. There are a lot of very educated, lacking in common sense and ethics folks running around thes days.
3. When did you last visit a place or site named for George Washington or Abraham Lincoln, and what was that place or site?
We visited George Washington’s home in 2005, can that count?
4. February 16th was President’s Day in the US, but did you know it was also National Almond Day? I didn’t think so : ) Do you like almonds? If so, what’s a food/dish/recipe you enjoy that contains almonds?
I do like almonds! Roasted with a little salt is my favorite way. Next would be in homemade granola, YUM!
5.The television program Saturday Night Live celebrated it’s 40th anniversary this past weekend. Were/are you a fan of the show? If so what has been your favorite (or one of your favorite) skits, sayings, or characters that came out of the program?
I have been a fan of the show since my teens, so not quite 40 years 🙂 I honestly don’t know if I can pick favorites, that seems like an impossible task! I have always liked it when the characters could hardly keep from cracking up. We still use lines from some skits on a regular basis, it’s really funny when the kids watch an old show and it dawns on them “OH, that’s where they got that line from!!!”
Some of our favorite lines from sketches are
“simmah down now!” Cheri Oteri
“Chickens make baaaaad housepets”.
“I must say!”! Martin Short as Ed Grimley
“Demonic raisins, I rebuke you!” Jan Hooks as Tammy Faye Bakker
“Strategery” Will Ferrell as George W. Bush
“That bird has devil eyes” and “that bird is a liar!” Tracy Morgan as Brian Fellows
“Champ-an-ya” The Continental with Christopher Walken
and of course “I need more cowbell!”
We are known to pick out an obscure line and run it into the ground also. Lately, it has been “it’s origami, that’s Spanish for goose”. I can’t explain the things we think are funny.
The parts I thought were funny when I was younger might not be my favorites now. Every decade has its charms! Weekend Update has usually been clever. My favorite performers have been Mike Meyers, Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks, Amy Pohler, Will Ferrell, Martin Short (I MUST SAY!), Dana Carvey, Maya Rudolph, and probably 20 more.
I like watching the show on DVR now so you can fast forward through the boring/dumb/particularly obnoxious parts!
6. Anything purple within ten feet of you? What is it?
Nope. That is a very under represented color in our home.
7. Back in December I asked you to submit a question for a future HP as part of a giveaway I was hosting. I grabbed this one from those entries, submitted by Zoanna who blogs over at Penchant for Pens. Thanks Zoanna!
She asks, “How often do you make your bed, and how do you like to make it-pull the covers all the way up over the pillows, tuck the covers in around the pillows, or place all the pillows on top of the covers?”
Our bed is rarely made because someone is almost always in it! It’s made after I change the sheets, pull the covers up with the pillows on top.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
One of my favorite parts of the Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary show, That’s When You Break.
Have a good week!