Happy New Year! We are back for another year of Hodge Podging! Many thanks to our leader Joyce, who gives us the questions and the place to gather!!! Onward HO!
1. Share one favorite moment/memory from your Christmas holiday.
Since The Boy and The Dane were with us at Thanksgiving, they remained in Washington state for Christmas. One of my favorite moments of the holiday was when they Facetimed us on Christmas Eve and we shared our traditional 2 things we are thankful for and 1 thing we hope for, together. Even though they were far away, it seemed like they were closer. I have another thing to add to my thankful list; technology.
2. What was the best thing you ate over the holidays? Was it homemade or store bought? If it was homemade did you make it?
Hmmmm, we had a LOT of good food over the holidays, this is too hard! We went to a Japanese steakhouse on Christmas Eve and that was super yummy. Our non traditional dinner of steak, Honey’s mac and cheese, garlic mushrooms and fatoosh salad were also delish! I made a stellar batch of peanut butter fudge that I supremely enjoyed. Then there were the Payday bars that I made for the birthday party of our friends that we ate our weight in. Most everything was homemade. That is almost always better, in my opinion!
3. What was one of the most beautiful things you saw over the holidays?
Drawing a complete blank here and that seems just sad! We didn’t go anywhere and see anything, and that seems like it would be the most probable answer. I guess I will say the faces of my People, which sounds cheesy, but I love them and they are beautiful to me.
4. What does fresh start mean to you?
A decision to change course, try something new, gather the gumption to recognize you want different. I feel this urge several times a year; at the start of the school year and now. Not big things mind you, usually just small realignments 🙂
I had this on Facebook and I quite like it. I have intentions of being a better blogger, so it literally applies.
5. On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being very positive and 1 being not so great) how would you rate 2016 in terms of personal achievement and well being? Explain.
A solid 5. Which seems to have been my life for a few years now. I don’t know if this is middle age, menopause or my own personal funk, but I feel a little like a place holder. Maintaining, but not moving. On pause. Maybe it is because of Honey’s impending retirement and the uncertainty surrounding future plans. Life is still good, just…..waiting.
6. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they’d like to see banished from the Queen’s English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse, or just general uselessness. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen or, if you’re like me, to find out what in the world the word or phrase even means or the context in which it’s used. There were quite a few on this year’s list I’d never heard before.
Here’s the 2017 list of banished words-
You, Sir-focus-Bete Noire-Town Hall Meeting-Post Truth-guesstimate-831-historic-manicured-echo chamber-on fleek-bigly-ghost-Dadbod-listicle-get your dander up-selfie drone-frankenfruit-disruption
Which word on the list would you most like to see banished in 2017? What word or phrase would you add to the list?
This question every year reminds me how out of touch I am with pop culture! Some of those words seem normal to me! I have heard “on fleek” from Mousey. She learned it from the high schoolers at work, one of them said her eyebrows were on fleek! Bigly is a dumb word, let’s ban that.
There are so many words I could live my life without ever hearing again. Let’s say “safe space” on a college campus, in word and location.
7. Large or small, light or deep, share with us one goal you have for the new year.
I haven’t decided how I will implement it, but I would like to devote less time to the ipad in 2017. It’s a real time sucker. I am not one to ban something because it’s really more of a self control thing. The places I visit are not bad, each has their place, but I guess I need to set some limits for myself. Hopefully it will leave me more time for blogging and reading, two other goals.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Honey had some time off during the holidays and we spent a goodish amount of it emptying our DVR, watching some movies and binge watching Stranger Things and the first season of Man in the High Castle. We enjoyed everything so much! Any other ideas out there for future binges?
Thanks for stopping by for the first Hodgepodge of the year, here’s to many more in 2017!